- Communication design
- Fine arts
- Media art & design
- Product design
- Teacher training in art education
- Master study programmes
- Application guide undergraduate degree programmes
- Application guide consecutive and non-consecutive master's programmes
- SIM application portal
Admission to the consecutive and non-consecutive Master's programs takes place in the winter semester or summer semester and depends on passing an aptitude test.
- The application for the winter semester must be submitted to the HBKsaar via the SIM application portal by the preceding May 31 .
- The application for the summer semester must be submitted to the HBKsaar via the SIM application portal by the preceding 30 November.
After checking the admission requirements and the submitted documents, a decision will be made on further participation in the examination procedure.
The oral/practical examination in the degree programs Fine Art, Communication Design, Media Art & Design and Product Design will probably take place in presence. Please bring the portfolio in printed form to the examination interview.
- Certificate of higher education entrance qualification „Allgemeine Hochschulreife“ or an Advanced Technical Certificate „Fachhochschulreife“Secondary school leaving certificate
- Bachelor or diploma certificate. If you do not have a bachelor or diploma degree at the time of applcation , please submit a current transcript of records with the current average grade. In the event of admission, we will require a certified copy of the Bachelor or Diploma certificate for enrolment.
- Curriculum vitae with photograph (for communication design handwritten)
Master experimental media, fine arts, communication design, media art & design, product design and public art / public design
- Letter of motivation with a proposal for your master thesis, convincing samples of works (portfolio) in a PDF-Document ( max. 100 MB), for larger files like videos please add an external link, for example YouTube, Vimeo or Cloud storage)
Master curating / museum education
- Letter of motivation with a proposal for your master thesis, convincing samples of works (portfolio) or scientific documentation in a PDF-document ( max. 100 MB for larger files like videos please add an external link, for example YouTube, Vimeo or Cloud storage)
- Documents about further qualifications (work experiences, publications, internships)
Additional special documents
Preliminary review documentation from uni-assist (VPD)
Applicants holding a degree from a non-German university need to obtain a Preliminary Review Documentation (VPD) from uni-assist.
uni assist review your academic credentials and determine whether you meet the requirements for direct access to master degrees program at a German university.
Uni-assist will issue the VPD that you must submit when applying at HBKsaar
If your degree certificate is not in English or in German, please include a copy of a certified English or German translation together with your application documents
Proof of adequate German proficiency in German:
Goethe Institut Certificate B2
DSH 2 or 3 (German language proficiency test)
Deutsches Sprachdiplom der KMK (DSD 2)
Applicants from China are requested to have their academic transcripts verified by the academic examinations office at the cultural affairs department at the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in Peking (APS) /www.aps.org.cn